Saturday, May 7, 2011

Growing up

Do you remember when you were little and in Elementary school, and at least twice a year the teacher would ask you what you wanted to be when you grow up? I remember very well. Every time I was asked that I had a totally different answer:
"I want to be a ballerina!"
"A Paleontologist!"
Or most memorably, "A marine biologist!" 
Yes, I got teased for that. The strange child who liked spinach and math, plus planning to live on a houseboat in the middle of the ocean to study fish. Weird wasm't a strong enough word.
After Elementary school I changed my mind at LEAST six times. I finally settled on being an Author. But then I thought, "Why settle on just one?". So add 'Concert Pianist', 'Jeweler', and 'Teacher' to the list. I think it is healthy to have many interests. So I am learning how to play piano from an amazing teacher and friend, and practicing making jewelry, and learning knowledge and patience to become the world's best teacher.
When I first started writing, I was twelve, almost thirteen. My first attempt at writing stories resulted in a 36 page manuscript(unfinished) that I gave to my parents on Christmas morning. I read it to my family while we were all still in our pj's, surrounded by heaps of torn wrapping paper and scattered gifts. When I read I was so nervous about having my work, my inner thoughts really, bared for those I loved to see, that I stuttered on every other word. After I finished reading, my parents praised me so much that I blushed with pride, and told me that I could be a writer if I wanted to, that they loved their gift. I am sure that that is one of the happiest days in my memory, among the top five. The reason why, is that looking back at that old manuscript, which I kept, I realize that it was terrible! The font was huge and impossible to read, the grammar a mess, and the story was barely a pamphlet in length. But my parents loved it because I put my heart and soul into it, honestly giving my all to please them. They saw the needle in that ramshackle haystack, rather than a pile of cow fodder. And for that I am forever grateful.
I have been amazingly blessed with the resources, family, and friends that I need to fulfill my dreams. I am also trying to be open minded about it though, because I know that plans change on a dime according to circumstance, and circumstance is something I cannot control or predict. I know that despite all of this, I still need help. Yet another reason why I love my parents, because I do not know anyone who could ever lead me right as they do. They are the reason I am the way I am today.
Happy Mother's day Mom. I love you. :)

Love,
Your devoted writer,
Cody

1 comment: