Saturday, May 7, 2011

'Baby, I love you.' aka, the flirting game.


 I can chock at least half of social awkwardness up to flirting. It presents to other girls a standard of how to act and what gets noticed, and as time goes on most guys are completely desensitized to the normal and far more subtle interest of some pretty amazing girls. I know at least a hundred such young women. When I see a girl flirting, I am caught somewhere between 'She is going to blind the guy with that smile or the hurricane force winds off those hummingbird-speed eyelashes', and 'Why do guys notice that and not me just being me?”'.
          Don't get me wrong-flirting has it's place. When a guy flirts with you in a non-creepy-just-trying-to-make-you-smile kind of way, then it is fun and innocent, as long as that isn't the normal behavior. I cannot speak for the young men-why, I know plenty who look like they love the attention. And maybe this is just the ramblings of a silly girl, but I think that we should all keep to the age-old saying, 'all things in moderation'. Throwing your attention around is TOTAL overkill, likely to kill. Either through the breaking of sincerely interested souls or through actual maiming. I have seen some killer flirting in my few years!
        Imagine for a moment that there is a country called 'Flirtasia', filled with amazing people all going about their days with their eye-catching ways and beautiful clothes. You have to be noticeable to be noticed. Off the shore of this country is an island called 'Uncharted', populated by people in robes and sandals, always looking for ways to better themselves and ways to help others. The people on this island are without contact with the mainland, except for those rare occasion when someone from the mainland takes a chance and goes beyond themselves to make contact.
        That small island is where I live most days. It gets lonely sometimes, and other times I wish I could move to the mainland and be just like all of the other girls. But most days I remember who I am, and I think of how much Heavenly Father loves me, that he made me the way I am for a reason and especially for someone special. That one day, maybe, that person will leave the mainland to find me. When I remember this, I am happy again. So as with most things, I will just, wait.

As always,
Your faithful writer,
Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment